Hello Lovelies!
It's been a while since I made a fitness post even though it's probably one of the biggest parts of my life. I wanted to make a post about something I know very well: running. My next fitness post will probably be about something new I'm starting this year: weightlifting.
To give you all a little background about my running I started running about two years ago. The first year I was very on-and-off, I was not at all consistent and I didn't run far for long. My running began more of a walking/jog. I was out of shape and my doctor told me to start exercising to help my scoliosis and to help my overall health. So for a long time I did tons of research: what to eat, how to sleep, how running improves health, when to start running, how to start running.
To be honest, the majority of what I found on the internet was complete BS. To start running, you just have to start. There is no magic trick. There is no perfect solution. Even if you start by walking and jogging, thats a start.
Running is all about endurance. The more your muscles can endure, the longer you can run.
Okay, so at the start of 2015 I was running a 14 minute mile and I could only run one mile. Today is the first day of 2016 and I ran three miles at a 9 minute pace.
How did I do this?
Well first, it's all about being consistent. No matter how hard it is, no matter how much you don't feel like it, you have to run at least three times a week.
Next, you must push yourself. Part of the reason I was able to reduce my time so drastically and go so much further was because I pushed myself. It's going to hurt. You're muscles are going to ache. Your body will tell you not to. Do like Nike and just do it.
Finally don't just run. As much as people enjoy running once they feel the running high, your body will literally yearn to run. Your body will beg you to run. Sounds crazy now, but once you start you can never stop. But as amazing as the feeling is, to be a better runner you have to accompany it with strength and flexibility training.
I hope this helps all of you that plan to start running in the upcoming year. Running is an amazing hobby and sport. I love the feeling of being connected to nature, I love the feeling of getting runners high, it is absolutely indescribable.
Happy Running!
xoxo, Ana