Hey!
I decided to begin my school and study posts writing about my major and my first semester of college. There is not much information available on my major unless you go looking for it so I felt it appropriate to discuss being a female in the STEM field.
So I am an undergraduate student studying Biomedical Engineering. Biomedical Engineering (BME) is the implementation of engineering principles into the medical field. The field of BME is extremely broad and can range anywhere from building prosthesis to wearable sensors to cellular engineering. Many of the medical technology such as MRI as well as the heart rate monitor on a smart watch are all considered part of BME.
Currently, I have only completed one semester of college and therefore have only completed one class under BME. Fall semester I took six classes: chemistry, chemistry lab, calculus, two honors courses, and intro to BME. The majority of my studies consisted of chemistry, calculus, and MATLAB. One of the major things about engineering that many people tend to forget is that it is not only a science based field but a technology based field. Coding and computer simulations and laboratory work make up a great deal of your time and efforts.
My first semester of college was all about transitioning for me. I wanted to focus on building good study habits and having a stable foundation in terms of my academics. One of the most important things I did was waking up early and going to the library every single day. Even if it is just staying at the library to read a book or watch a YouTube video, make it a habit to go somewhere that you can focus. This way when the end of the semester comes and you're stressed, you won't have to waste your willpower on going somewhere to study (I will be doing a post on habits later on).
Otherwise, I did not become incredibly involved in any organizations until this semester simply because it was difficult to try and keep up a new schedule whilst accommodating to commuting and balancing everything. I kept it simple and just focused on school for the first semester while I got accustomed to everything. If you're going into your first semester, I strongly suggest that you do the same because it will be worth it in the end.
I apologize for the long post but I felt it important to discuss all of this because university is an important step in anyone's life and not many people know about what I am currently studying. I hope you all have an awesome day and if you have any specific requests/suggestions/concerns just leave them in the comments below.
A.