Monday, March 19, 2018
Comparison.
Hello.
So I am sure that a lot of you have heard the expression, "Comparison is the thief of joy."
And I completely agree.
If you compare yourself to the people around you, you will never find happiness in all the things you already have. This doesn't always have to be material possessions, it can be absolutely anything. One of the main reasons I think comparison is such a negative habit is because it fosters a sense of envy.
Yet, I probably compare myself more than anyone I know. I was at brunch the other day and one of my best friends even pointed it out to me. It's something so simple that even I neglect to accept.
I've said time and time again, and I will continue to say it: we live in a world where it is so simple to look at someone else's life through a screen and just imagine how wonderful their lives must be. Recently, I've been majorly struggling. Struggling to find who I am, struggling to find happiness in the little things, struggling not to compare my life to others on social media, struggling not to focus on the future, struggling to find motivation, just struggling. I have felt sad and alone. And I am not afraid to admit it because it happens to all of us.
Then I think about how God gave another day to live. Another opportunity to serve Him. God, so wonderful, made the mountains and the sea and decided the world needed one of me and one of you.
But, then you think, if He made this world so wonderful why don't I have as much as her or why does that person have less than me? Why, if everything is so peachy, am I not given the same opportunities as others? Why am I tempted by so much? Why do I fail at so many things? Why do the people around me care so little while they have so many people around them that care so much? Why do I have to work harder than others to achieve the same results? Why does their life seem so perfect while mine is so flawed?
We all have our own battles. And I promise you that there is nothing in this world that a little faith and hard work cannot fix. So rather than comparing your journey to someone else, try to fill your heart with gratitude. If you notice something you don't like, rather than dwelling on it see how you can fix it, pray to God to help you, and have the patience and faith that it will get done.
There will be days where you cannot find an ounce of gratefulness in your heart and others where it comes pouring out of you. But every day you have to wake up with a grateful heart. No matter what.
Write your gratitude list in the comments below as well as any requests or post ideas!
A.
