Wednesday, November 5, 2014
Classy and Sassy: Dealing with Bullying
Hey Lovelies!
Today I want to tell you guys about something that has affected way too many of us, bullying. Whether we have been the victim, the bully, or the bystander, at one point or another the majority of us have been exposed to bullying. If we are all honest, everyone has been in each position, whether we like to admit it or not. But especially recently bullying has been affecting the lives of young people everywhere due to social media and globalization.
Many of us struggle dealing with the emotional and physical harm that comes with bullying but we all have to find the best way to deal with it and get it out of our way. No one should live having to tolerate any type of bullying and we should know when to stand up for ourselves and demand respect.
But first I want to give a brief history as to my experience with bullying. I have been bullied, been the person bullying, and I have been a bystander as well. When I was in elementary school especially I used to tease people who teased me, and I don't like to admit it, but I did. I learned how much this hurt when I grew up and to this day I regret ever making mean or rude comments. I am glad to say that this is no longer something that I have to deal with and for the most part I get along with people quite well. Especially when I was in middle school I was constantly bullied about my height, my grades, my interests, and my personality. I always dealt with it in a very reserved manner, told a teacher or adult and never spoke about it again. This has always worked for me because I rid myself of the problem and never have to deal with that particular person again.
So now that you know my story I want to tell you all how I got through the rough patches of my life, at least when dealing with bullying. Many people believe that bullying is done to those that exhibit some type of weakness among their peers and I can tell you this is not always true. Everyone, whether it is the most popular girl in school or the shy girl in the back of the class, has been bullied or is being bullied. With that in mind, don't bully or even make a mean comment. It is unnecessary and you may be hurting this person more than you think, no matter the facade they put up.
If you are being bullied, tell someone trustworthy. No, not your best friend that you met two weeks ago, or that guy from the grocery store, or even a family friend. The best people to go to are parents, teachers, guidance counselors, and friends that you know will help make the right decision. Whatever you do, tell someone that you trust and will aid you in receiving the help you need. But don't simply rely on them, make sure that you defend yourself. I know that the other person may seem scary, but they are humans just like you and they appeal to emotions as well..
My last piece of advice is to change your mindset. The reason people are affected by bullying is that they bother to care. Unless it is something physical and you cannot get out of it, most emotional pain can be avoided by taking into account that the other person is just being immature and doesn't know how to deal with their own conflicting emotions. This can be very difficult, I would know, but it is not impossible. You don't have to listen to people that have no influence on the future of your life and you do not have to withstand their inability to be kind to others.
I really hope this helps some of you guys. Remember that if someone tells you that they are being bullied please help them and allow them to deal with their emotions. We all deserve to move on and emotional damage is very difficult to recover from.
So be kind, courteous, and genuine. People all around you are being bullied and you may make their day that much better with a simple smile, a thank you, or a small conversation.
xoxo, Ana
Labels:
Lifestyle
