Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Book Nook: Anthem

Hey Lovelies!



So I recently read a book for my English class that was an interesting take on dystopian societies and thought I would share my experience with you all.  Please keep in mind that these are my own opinions and are simply my take on this novel.

Having stated that, I want to start off by telling you all that I very much disliked this book and thought it was a complete waste of time.  No, it is not because this was an assigned reading with work that cam attached to it.  I typically enjoy reading books from school, but this novel was honestly lacking.  The teacher asked us not to judge it based on the fact that there were many current dystopian stories in the media today and that this book was going to be different.  If anything this book only contained the predictable elements of common dystopian novels.

First, you get the person that stands out from society and considers themselves different from everyone else.  Then there is the way he discovers everything, very boring and unexciting, he sits all day in an underground subway tunnel.  Not one bit of action is evident in the entire book!  Finally we reach the end where (a) his lover seeks him out and follows him, (b) the "word" mentioned throughout the novel is a complete let down, and (c) it ends with the word and leaves you asking "What? No plot twist or exciting fights?".

For those reasons listed above, I very much disliked reading this novel.  Not to say you won't enjoy it because my peers were quite fond of the story and wanted to learn more about the author.  BTW: I did my background research, out of curiosity, and understand why the author wrote the novel she did, or at least the mindset of the novel, but I don't understand why she made such an unoriginal story.

If you have read this novel before, let me know what you thought in the comments below!

xoxo, Ana