Saturday, July 19, 2014
Book Nook: The Luxe
Hey Lovelies.
These past few weeks I have been reading a book that I have been wanting to read for a while now. This book is just the type of book I personally love. It is a bit morbid in the fact that this book is about the mysterious lives of Manhattan's Elite in the late 1800s, and someone dies... {dun, dun, dun}.
I won't let any spoilers slip, other than the fact someone dies, but that's let out at the very beginning of the book. At first it was difficult to follow the story line because the author, Anna Godbersen, did an amazing job of writing the novel in old-English.
One of the best parts of this book is the historic references and how well the author did her research, I have always enjoyed that time period and this was probably one of the best depictions of the time period I have yet to read. It was easy to imagine yourself in the setting and in such a lavish lifestyle. This book, of course, is more of my style and is about one of my favorite topics which is murder and betrayal. It is very comparable to the Heist Society series by Ally Carter. Which is one of my favorite book series of all time.
So this book deals with high society famailies of the late 1800s in New York. The main characters are sisters Elizabeth and Diana and how their lives are suddenly falling apart at the seams. As stated in the blurb, "their status is far from secure, everyone, from their trusted servants, to their friends and lovers, seems to threaten their golden future".
I have read plenty of books in which every chapter is a depiction of the same period of time from the point of view of different characters. But this novel was just brilliantly orchestrated in that Godbersen made you think and made you really analyze the situation from different perspectives. Not just retell the situation and bore you by telling the same scene twice. She chose the characters that she was going to use for each chapter so that you could get a feel for the moment in time and understand how other characters felt and their emotions.
Otherwise, the plot was interesting and caught my attention. I really, really enjoyed the depiction of the clothing, and the mannerisms of the people at that point in time. This book was honestly one of the best combinations of romance, tragedy, death, and deception. Hopefully I can read the rest of the series and let you know what I think.
I am currently reading The False Prince, I am about a fourth of the way done and I am enjoying the book. In the future I also hope to read Belles and Poseur.
If you want to see an extensive list of books I've read and want to read you can visit the site Goodreads and check out my profile.
Let me know in the comments what you are currently reading!
xoxo, Ana
Labels:
Lifestyle
