As you know I am a runner. Now what does that mean, it means that although I don't run all that fast, or all that far, I enjoy running and I enjoy going outside and going for a run. I am still starting as a runner, and I want to share with you all my tips on starting out and the beginning stages of running. It is not easy to begin a new sport, especially if you are not a very athletic person {ding, ding, ding, moi}, but this particular sport is something you must focused on and takes a lot of personal motivation. I'm not going to make another disclaimer, but I am no professional this is from my personal opinion.
I am not the best at completing things I set my own mind to, but running is the best sport for someone who is very controlling, organized, and meticulous. Because of this, not many people enjoy running or continuously commit to running. My blog is my place to share my opinions and I honestly do not think running is for everyone. Running is not easy and it takes massive amounts of dedication. With that in mind, let's get on with the tips.
~ Tip 1 ~
Stick to it. No matter what!
When I first began running many people told me I couldn't do it and that I was too little to run very far. Running takes dedication and you have to keep going no matter what. This includes when your feet hurt, your back aches, and your legs feel like falling off. I am not saying that you should keep going if you feel immense pain, but running is a mental sport and you have to keep going no matter what.
~ Tip 2 ~
Get Proper Gear
The other day I went running with my running socks, I usually save them for when I run extra long distances. I had not realized how much of a difference they make. Not to mention proper shoes. You will have to splurge on a pair of running shoes, I currently have the Sketchers with Memory Foam. Lastly, when you really start running you will realize that cotton is no longer your friend. You're gonna wanna buy some shirts and pants made of moisture-wicking fabric.
~ Tip 3 ~
Don't Push Yourself Too Far
You don't want to start of running a fourth of a mile and in a week progress to a mile. Especially if you are starting by walking you want to slowly increase the amount you run or walk. If you push yourself too far you could actually hurt yourself in the end. So know your limitations and work around them to reach your goal.
~ Tip 4 ~
Make Tiny, Medium, and Big Goals
For example my tiny goal is to run three full miles by the end of summer {don't really know if it is possible...}, my medium goal is run a 5K, 10K, and Half-Marathon. My Big goal is quite large, but I want to run my first marathon before I finish high school. So three more years to run 26.2 miles... Yeah I am a bit ambitious but meeting these goals or getting close is needed to push yourself and really necessary.
~ Tip 5 ~
Stretch and Cross Train
Stretching and Cross Training is very important for your body to endure running. Make sure you know which stretches to do when, for example dynamic stretching before and static stretching after. Cross Training is basically doing other forms of training, particularly strength training for your muscles. I suggest beginning cross training when you start running to get your body used to the training and to build up the muscle you need to do endurance running.Make sure you do your research before beginning to run and do any type of exercise. Like I said this is a sport that takes a lot of dedication and you have to really be self-motivated.
I hope this helps you out if you want to start running.
xoxo, Ana