Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Fitness: Best Leg Exercises

Hey Lovelies!

So, I haven't done too many fitness posts because they kind of scare me.  So before we get started I just want to make a disclaimer:  I am not a professional and anything I say is from personal experience; I am just sharing to let you know what works for me.  As much as I enjoy learning and researching about the body, I am not a professional on the human body. We all have different bodies and our bodies react differently to exercise and diet.  Please be cautious before making any drastic changes in your daily routine and ask a physician if you are ready for any change.

Anyway, I just wanted to talk to you all about leg exercises.  We all want nice, toned legs for those shorts during the summertime.  But, some of us don't have gym memberships {that would be me} and a lot of us are just starting to progress into the "toning wagon".  If you seek major weight loss, I will be making a future posts/videos about cardio and the importance of this on all of our bodies (weight loss or otherwise).  Here is just some of my favorite leg exercises.  I don't have any specific routine, I usually just find something on YouTube or Pinterest, these are just the specific things that work best for me.

~ 1 ~
Squats
We all hate them, but we all love them.  They are so amazing for toning your thighs and your booty and, if done properly, can even be a core exercise.  I will occasionally add a little wight by holding dumbbell(s) to supplement this exercise, but alone it is still amazing!  All types of squats are amazing and each work a specific muscle group in your thighs and booty.  From sumo squats  to pistol squats to ski squats, they are amazing!

~ 2 ~
Lunges
Another exercise that seems to repeat among anyone who talks about legs.  But, they work.  I recently found out there are more than just a few forms of lunges, including the curtsy lunges.  I looked crazy yesterday as I stepped forward and kept putting my hands out as if I was wearing a dress from Titanic.  This exercise works a different muscle in you booty than a squat and is amazing for those thighs.

~ 3 ~
Bridges
Who would have thought that lifting your but from the floor could cause so much pain?  Bridges are awesome to perk up that booty and tighten those hamstrings.  Try doing them on only one leg, you will be in pain for days!  I love this exercise and think it is just amazing.

~ 4 ~ 
Kickbacks
This super simple exercise consists of standing near a wall and using your booty and thighs to kick your legs back.  It sounds so simple and so easy, but it is more difficult than you could imagine.  There are several forms of doing this, you could even do it laying of all fours.  As long as you don't cheat yourself and really squeeze those muscles, you will get amazing results from simple, little pulses.

~ 5 ~
Calf Raises
I cannot explain my adoration of calf raises.  I love them so very much because they seem to be the only exercise that really work on my calf, especially when adding weights.  Of course you can add weights to any of the other exercises, but this one really kicks my butt.

If you have any other super, awesome, totally amazing leg exercises, let me know about them in the comments.  These are not the only things I do, but they are just my very favorite.

I hope you learned something from this and like learning a bit more about fitness, pertaining to the legs!

xoxo, Ana

P.S. - I have been obsessed with reading, so expect lots of posts about books!  I don't typically bye books, I will just go to the library or buy them online {my kindle doesn't work anymore so the library is my only solution} but I love reading and will be sharing my opinions about some of the books I have checked out recently.